After a long, tedious, but decent day of school, I cruised downtown to the totally posh Salt Lake City Library--another reason not to live in Utah County (the library system in Utah County is terrible!). I find an open parking spot right near the entrance: Score; my parking spot-spotting skills continue to be fantastic. Shaking my wallet, all of my loose change falls into my hand and I quickly stuff it in the meter. 30 minutes. I'll have to rush, but I can make it. Everyone was going through the automatic door for disabled people, so I decided I would go through the revolving door and not get caught up in the crowd. As I pushed the heavy door, I realized why no one used it--I had to use all of my body weight to get the door to move. Through the door, I rushed downstairs to the Children's section. I hopped on a computer and began typing in titles and scribbling down call numbers. Okay, jLowry, jYolen, go, go, go. I find about 15 books and head up to check them out. Whew. I still have 15 minutes on the meter. I made it.
My book bag is over-flowing as I stuff the last two books in, but I'm good to go. I walk out of the library, this time I too use the automatic door for disabled people, but I just push it open myself. As I'm headed back to my golden parking spot, a skater kid inerjects my path.
"Uh, by any chance do you have a phone?" he stammers.
"Um...yeah, sure, " I say hesitatingly. "Here you go."
He dials. He's waiting.
"My name's Jason by the way, what was your name?"
"Liz," I say as I stand there waiting.
No answer. He leaves a message.
"Thanks," he says.
"No problem," I reply as I take my phone and again start walking toward my car.
But before I get there. "So are you headed that way?" Skater boy points to the south.
"Um...yeah," I say just as hesitant as before.
"Could you give me a ride to 9th South?" He asks so presumptiously.
"Uh...okay," I say.
We walk to my car. What did I just say?!? "Uh..Okay?" Why did I say Okay? What am I thinking? What if he pulls a gun out of his hoodie, a knife? What am I doing!?
We hop in the car. I move my BYU planner and other stuff from the passenger's seat.
"You go to BYU?" he asks.
"No, I did," I say. "But I graduated."
"Oh," he says. "What are you doing now?"
"I teach high school," I say cautiously. Please don't do anything, I'm thinking. Just a few more blocks.
"That's pretty dangerous for someone like you," he says.
What does he mean by that? I think. And this isn't dangerous? Picking up weirdos outside the library. That's a lot more dangerous than any of my high school students. Even though I don't respond, Skater boy keeps talking. Quite the conversationalist.
"Yeah, I'm 26 and I haven't done anything," he chuckles. "I went to one semester of community college, but it just wasnt' for me," he adds. "But I'm really smart."
Ha ha ha ha, I'm thinking. He keeps talking.
"I've been working on this theory about magnetic fields," he reaches into his pocket.
Oh no! Here comes the gun, the knife.
But no, just two magnets and a piece of paper. Good.
"I was at the library today looking up all this information on Quantum Theory, see?" He shows me his drawing and then demonstrates how the magnets stick together at a certain distance. He is in awe at the fact that at just a centimeter farther, the magnets are no longer drawn to each other.
Trying to act impressed, I smile, "That's interesting," I say. "But it's way over my head. I'm not really scientifically minded."
"You don't have to be," he jabbers on. "I just learned this today. I'm really smart."
Okay Skater boy with no past or future, I get it: you're smart. Or something.
Finally! 9th South.
"Well thanks for the ride," he says.
"No problem," I say hurridly. Get out of the car already, I'm thinking.
"Yeah. Uh...I'd get your number, but uh....I don't have a phone."
"Yeah," is all I can manage to say.
"But maybe I'll see you around. At the library," he spurts.
"Maybe. Well, bye," I'm relieved. He's gone. I shudder in my seat, and drive home.
No comments:
Post a Comment