Having lived 26 years as a Thackeray, I should be accostumed to having my last name mispelled. Everyone forgets the "a." At parent teacher conferences I used an orange sharpie to carrot in the 'a' on the large laminated name sign that hangs above my table. Maybe I should just let it go, give up. Should I? No! This is my name, and it's a good one too; one to be proud of. Maybe whenever I type my name in an email, letter, or form I should start bolding the 'a.' Or maybe I should start saying my name "Thacker-ray." Like Ray of Sunshine, Grade-A, A-mazing. I don't know why it's so hard to remember the 'a.'
2 comments:
maybe that's because there are two "a"s, not one. Everyone forgets "the a?" That statement right there is your problem. It encourages me to try really really hard NOT to forget "the a." So after getting as far as "Tha--" I congratulate myself and completely miss the second "a." Thackery, I will write with a big smile on my face. "She'll be so proud of me for remembering!" And the problem is perpetuated.
I can sort of imagine how you feel. . . people like to change the letter in my name, from an E to an O. This, obviously, looks ridiculous. Hermanson. Gag me. Hermansen. So much better. So which is worse, forgetting a letter or changing a letter? WELL, don't fear. I know the answer. Forgetting a letter is a little worse. Worse still is doing BOTH. My roommate has spelled my name Hermasen (notice the missing N) and Hermison (TWO wrong letters AND one missing!!!) But in comparing the Hermasen incident to the Hermanson incident, Hermasen is worse. Probably because it totally changes the pronunciation of the name. . . An N, after all, is a consonant. Oh yeah, by the way, I found your blog. :)
Post a Comment