Thursday, June 7, 2012

Summer's Approaching

As I've been sitting alone in my classroom all week during 4th period, I've been asking myself the same question over and over and over again: Is it summer yet?! I'm supposed to have 8 warm-and-able-bodied students in my 4th period class, but they have all gone missing. Absent. Several days this week I have sat through 4th period (the last class of the day) all by myself because zero, yep, nadda a student has shown up. So I've had a lot of time to think about why I am still sitting in my classroom. I've come close to just leaving, but figured that would be professionally frowned upon, so I sat there day dreaming about my summer plans. As a teacher, the only biggest perk to my job is summer vacation. Two months away from the classroom. Away from the students. Away from all teaching responsibilities. Away from D.C. Two months to do whatever I please. And that is just what I will be doing this summer: whatever I please away from D.C. You see, I need a break. I need to escape the maddening traffic and sweltering heat of this crazy city. So I'm going to trade it for the frantic and perilous traffic as well as the suffocating heat of Bangkok. It's time to return. So while my students are off doing whatever it is they do when they are not where they are supposed to be, I'm on a beautiful white sand beach reading a book. Summer can't come soon enough. One more week!

No comments: