Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Bibliophile

I have always loved books. I can't remember a time I have not loved books. When I was 2 or 3 years old, one of my mom's friends was over and I was sitting on the floor with my favorite book, Hansel and Gretel, "reading." My mom's friend was shocked. "She's already reading!" she gasped. What my mom should have done was tell her that yes I was in fact reading--a child prodigy, a genius. But my mom--the sweet and honest woman that she is--told her the truth: I had listened to that book so frequently, that I had memorized it. I knew exactly what each page said, so I could "read" it to myself and turn the pages. I knew some books so well that when my dad would try and trick me by skipping a page or making up something else, I would correct him and say, "No Daaad, it doesn't say that!" Clearly, I was adorable as a child.

In 1st grade our class did a reading competition. Each student had a clown holding a bunch of balloons on the wall and then for every book we read, the title of the book would be added to one of the balloons. My bunch of balloons grew and grew. It was half-way across the ceiling of our classroom before the competition was over. I won.

I won't go through every stage of my life, but let's just say, I have always been a reader. Have I always made outside, pleasure reading my top priority? Nope. Have I always loved reading and books? Yes. Book stores are dangerous places for me. And I am usually reading several books at one time. Some people find this weird. But I guess it became a habit in college. I had to read lots of books all at the same time for my different classes, so I suppose I just got used to doing it. Right now I am currently reading:
The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
I Thought it Was Just Me by Brene Brown (also)
I Read It, But I Don't Get It by Cris Tovani
Write Like This by Kelly Gallagher
Daughters in Our Kingdom
The Teachings of George Albert Smith
Monster by Walter Dean Myers

And I think there are a couple more that I am just not thinking of right now... Let's just suffice it to say that I am always reading something. Articles, books, papers, blog posts, etc., which is why when I read this blog post today, John Steinbeck's words in regards to his book East of Eden made me think of my own relationship with books:

I hope my book is enough like him [referring to the reader] so that he may find interest and recognition and some beauty as one finds in a friend.

I have many books of friends. 



1 comment:

Gretta said...

When I was little, I used to sleep with a stack of books on my bed.