So, I had my students complete a writing assignment with four different parts: 1. Make a simile to express how they feel about writing (ie. finish this statement: "To Me Writing is Like..."); 2. Make a collage of images that express how they feel about writing; 3. Explain the images on their collage in narrative form; 4. Reflect on the process of the assignment, were finding images helpful in generating ideas?, etc.
So, that was a long explanation for a simple post, but I just have to share this. One of my students--who will remain nameless--created the following simile. (Oh and to further prove my point about spelling from a couple blogs ago, I'm not changing any of the spelling): "To me writing is like a dumster. You just feel it up with junk that pops into your mind. Then when your done you hand it in and think will the teacher like it. Then the teacher hands it back and you throw it away. Whats the point in waisting paper."
Not only is the simile hilarious (and sometimes too entirely true), but the collage that accompanied it made it even better. It has a picture of a burning American Flag with the word HATE underneath it. Wow. Talk about strong imagery.
4 comments:
Liz, that is so funny. I really did LOL. And sometimes I feel the same way. What is the point of wasting paper? I love that it was accompanied by a burning American flag. In mind it made all the better.
What I want to know is how the kid did on the assignment (grammatical errors aside). :)
I didn't grade this assignment on grammatical errors--fortunately for him, because it wasn't a formal enough assignment to do so. His ideas were good, so he did just fine. I don't really expect my kids to like writing. This was just too good not to share!
Post a Comment