Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Tribute to the Bard

Indeed, technically Shakespeare's birthday was last month, but since I wasn't blogging back then, and also because I have recently been re-enthralled with Kenneth Branagh's version of Much Ado About Nothing.

Here are some of what I think to be the best lines:

"I would rather hear my dog bark at a crow than hear a man swear he loves me." -Beatrice
"A bird of my tongue is better than a beast of yours." -Beatrice
"Shall I never see a bachelor of three score again?" -Benedick
"With anger, with sickness, or with hunger my Lord, but not with love." -Benedick
"Not 'til God make men of some other metal than earth." Beatrice
"Friendship is constant in all other things, save in the office and affairs of love." -Claudio
"Every word stabs. If her breath were as terrible as her terminations, there would be no living near her. She would infect to the north star." -Benedick
"When I said I should die a bachelor, I did not think I should live 'til I was married." -Benedick
Benedick: "You take pleasure in the message?"
Beatrice: "Yea, just so much as you may take upon a knife."
"Some, Cupid kills with arrows; some, with traps." -Hero
"I do love nothing in the world so well as you." -Benedick
"I love you with so much of my heart that none is left to protest." -Beatrice
"Do not you love me?"
"Why, no. No more than reason." Both Benedick and Beatrice to each other
"But by this light, I take ye for pity." -Benedick
"For man is a giddy thing, and this is my conclusion." -Benedick
"Prince, thou art sad. Get thee a wife." -Benedick

No comments: