Sunday, January 13, 2008

I have a Teacher; I am a teacher

Let's talk about insanity. My nightmare was reality when we had our first meeting just over a week ago (January 4th to be exact). The lady who's "in charge" here holds a meeting. Before we even let her begin, we obviously want to know our placements (where and with whom we will be teaching). This is where the nightmare begins. "I've had a bit of a problem placing the English teachers," she says. Perfect, just perfect. Why did I even come out here? I don't even have a place to teach. She drones on, "But everything always works out...." How can I even believe that. Who is this woman any way? How do we not have placements? What will happen? When will we know? How does she know it will work out? And why should I believe her? So as she attempts to reassure us that we will have a teacher to work with and a class to teach, I stare. All I can do is stare. The nightmare increases as she explains that two of us (there are three English teachers) will be team teaching: another problem. The English department doesn't allow us to team teach. "Oh, I wasn't aware of that," she excuses herself. But there's more. You will only be teaching 3 classes. Again, the English department requires more. "Oh, I wasn't aware of that," she excuses herself again. And all I can think is why I should trust her when she doesn't seem to be "aware" of anything.
...
After a lot of groveling, the unaware lady talked a couple of teachers into taking us. I was placed with Ms. Haywood. The other girls were still going to team teach--but of course after checking with the English department, guess what their answer to that was? That's right: NO! So, the very kind principal at the school assigned a teacher (who is currently out of town) to have a student teacher. Big surprise for her when she gets back. (Did I mention that the teacher out of town is head of the English department and doesn't want student teachers in the school at all??--It's going to be scary.) So, things are still up in the air a bit, but seem to be settling into some abstract formation. I suppose we shall see how things turn out.

1 comment:

greysquirrelb said...

love your blog and I love the polka dots!