Thursday, January 12, 2012

This is the New Year

A new beginning. That is a great song by Ian Axel. Like most people, I too have a New Year's resolution. But first,
I would like to say

I went home for
Christmas
a whirlwind in
Utah

and it
was wonderful
every
single moment

I was sad
to leave family
and friends
so sweet
and so dear


Whipping right back to New Year's resolutions. I'm not really one for resolutions (except for my 10 in 10--which was quite fun, but also overwhelming). But I do set goals. But I don't set them on New Year's. I set them on my birthday (which is in October). Then I revisit them at New Year's to track progress. This year, though, I am actually setting one resolution: I resolve not to purchase a single item of clothing all year long. For those who know me well, would bet that I would have broken this resolution on New Year's day at all the fantastic sales. But this, my friends, would have been a bet you would have lost because I have not yet broken this resolution--and I don't intend to break it. Now I could never go into such a resolution without a plan and actually conceive that I could be successful, so of course I have a plan. But first a snippet of the back story. So I got home and had a few days before I had to go back to work and since it was almost the new year, I divulged in one of my all time favorite activities: organizing. (I feel that I am over-using colons right now. This may be due to the fact that we talked about colons in my class today. Anyway, I apologize if you feel I have over-used my little connecter punchy punctuation friend, the colon.) So, yes, I was organizing. I had quite a haul of clothes to add to my minuscule closet--I am such a sucker for Down East. And so I decided I should start my organizing extravaganza there. I took all of my clothes out of my closet, sorted through them and could only reconcile myself to parting with maybe 10 items (pathetic!). I then reorganized them by type and color and hung them backwards on my tiered hangers. The idea is, if any article has not been hung the correct way within 6-8 months, it is going to be discarded because I clearly do not wear it. As I went through my clothes I came upon many items that I have not worn in quite some time, but just couldn't bear to part with. I quickly became slightly appalled with myself--they are only clothes after all and I have way too many. So I decided that I need to force myself to be more creative in using what I already have and creating new combinations from what I own--and thus the resolution was born.

Now don't worry. This is not the end of my plan. It is a much more developed plan than just a simple flip of a hanger. I have a few things to help me: (1) My roommate and a few friends who allow me to help dress them. Last weekend in fact, I accompanied a friend on his yearly shopping trip and found that my plan to help others shop satisfied my desire perfectly well. If you would like a consultation, I would be more than happy to oblige. I only need 51 more friends; (2) I am planning a trip to Thailand and South East Asia this summer. This is more than enough motivation to keep me from spending money on clothes so I can go on a much more memorable adventure; and lastly (3) I am allowed to spend the Gap $$ I earn through my Gap credit card. Now this may seem like a cop out, but it's not. In all likelihood I will not be earning many Gap Reward $$ because I won't be spending money at Gap, Inc stores--which is the quickest way you accrue points. I have, however, allowed myself to use my Gap $$ because it expires, and not to use it, well would be a waste. And I can't do that.

Did I mention I'm currently reading Confessions of a Shopaholic? Well, this may have contributed to my resolution making as well. I may just see myself a little too clearly in the character of Rebecca Bloomwood--and that, my friends, is a bit terrifying.

No comments: