So lately I've been doing a lot of reflection. And it is only spurred in part because I just finished writing 20 pages on the value of reflection in the writing classroom for Chapter 3 of my thesis. Yes, it's almost done--only one more chapter to go. But more on that later. There will be much to celebrate soon enough.
I am moving this weekend. Not far. Only about 3/4 of a mile from where I live now, but in that 3/4 mile we pass ward and stake boundaries, which--in the mormon culture--is like entering another land. As I am completing my master's degree (woot!) and moving, there is a lot that is concluding, and therefore a lot more that is beginning. I have always liked beginnings more than endings. I think I cried when I read the end of HP 7 (both the first time and the second time, and I'll probably feel sad again when I finish it the third time in a few days). The ending itself wasn't sad, but it meant the series was over, no more anticipation of books to come. And now, no more anticipation of movies to come either.
This chapter of my life that is closing, however, is one of very few that I do not feel too sad to close. The last two years have been riddled with challenges, and I am brightened by the opportunity to pack up and move and leave the places of memory associated with those challenges behind. I have learned a lot the past two years. Some things I will be forever grateful for and forever changed by. Others, I would like to forget and move past, and I'm hoping a physical move will help me do so.
The anticipation of beginnings is always bright. So much possibility. A new house. A new roommate. A new ward. A new job with new students. New opportunities to be challenged. New opportunities to grow. I am grateful for fresh starts and new days; for the open possibilities that accompany both to wipe the slate clean and become the better person you're striving to be, but who sometimes gets stuck in a rut and can't climb out. I'm looking forward to tomorrow: A new day without any mistakes in it.
1 comment:
Oh I love it when you update your blog. Hope your move went well and you're getting settled in. Here's to new beginnings! love you lady
Post a Comment