Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Strengths

I have recently been reading StrengthsFinder 2.0. It is book that takes the approach identifying peoples' strengths and helping individuals capitalize on the things they do well. The book comes with an access code to take the StrengthsFinder assessment. I have taken the first version of the assessment before when I worked at Freshman Academy, but the 2.0 version adds additional information specific to you and the way you exhibit certain strengths. My top five strengths are different this go-round. There are some that are still the same, but others have changed. Here's my Top Five:
1. Restorative
2. Discipline
3. Learner
4. Input
5. Empathy

To be honest, I don't remember all of my original Top Five. I know Learner and Input were both part of my original Top Five as was Achiever. I think Focus was as well, and maybe Responsible? I don't remember the last two. I thought it was interesting that my strengths were different this time. Maybe it's because even though I am in school again, my attitude is considerably more lax about it than it was during my undergrad. I still want to do well, but I am also seeking for more balance in life and giving myself time to do things that are important to me.

I was not surprised--as those of you who know me--to see discipline among my Top Five. In light of this, I would like you to know what StrengthsFinder has to say about Discipline: "Others may confuse your Discipline talents with rigidity. Help them understand that your discipline helps you pack more effectiveness into a day -- often because you prioritize your time" (96). For the Record: I am not Rigid; I am Efficient and Effective.

2 comments:

Brea Didenhover Squires said...

I like the explanation of "discipline" I remember taking strengths quest 1 (I still have my print out) and analytical was in my top 5, and I needed to quote from that explanation as well because that attribute can be quite misunderstood. Yeah for strengths quest!

greysquirrelb said...

Liz - what a neat test. I completely agree with Discipline and Empathy. Very true of you. I don't totally understand the other three unfortunately. I love how you said you are seeking balance too...though I always felt you did that really well. I'm seeking more of the balance experience too - what a trek! Thank you for sharing.