Kolby and Mark. We're good friends. Kolby is from Spokane. He thinks SLC is one of the best kept secrets in the western world. He lived here for a while. He sells mortgages to banks (not a fun business to be in at the moment). When he lived in SLC, he worked for a company that made the missionary name tags. Yeah, that's right: He's even been to the MTC on Wednesdays when all the families come to drop off their missionaries. He told me that after his 8th six oz. bottle of some strong alcoholic beverage of which I don't remember the name. Kolby was going to Chicago to meet up with his long lost frat brothers from his college days. 37 of them. They were already too drunk to pick him up from the airport. So he had to take a cab to meet them at the bar. He and all the brothas were invited to play at an apparently exquisite golf course in none other than Naperville. Mark is an engineer. Hmm...what type was he again? Possibly electrical. I don't remember that either, but he goes green. He even took the EL from the Chicago airport to his hotel. Public transportation baby. Mark has two sons. His oldest son loved his 7th grade English class last year. Mark and his wife didn't know anything about Utah/SLC before moving here, but they too are big fans. I don't know everything these two chaps discussed--even though I was sitting in between them--because I was just starting Breaking Dawn. They were impressed with my ability to read through their conversation.
Two moms. Two daughters. One mom was blind. She had a yellow lab as her seeing eye dog. And as all of the little kids walked by they said "Hi Doggie." Her daughter's hair was adorable swept back on one side and clipped in a cute little plastic barrette (you know the multi-colored ones with different animals on them--who didn't have those when they were little?) I thought about how the little girl's hair got so cute? Sarah (my niece) wanted me to do her hair before they left for the airport. It looked terrible. And I can see! How did the cute blind mom get so good at doing little girl hair when she can't even see? We pass the zoo stop on the metra: the cute little girl with the cute little barrette in her hair says in a high squeaky mouse of a voice, "A 'Z' and two 'Os' that says 'ZOO'!" Yes, indeed it does.
At the terminal there was a squirrly little boy. You could tell he just wanted to run wild. I can't say I blame him. He had already been on a plane for 3 hours. (His mother--a dwarf--told me that to excuse his slightly interruptive behavior). He was becoming more out of control by the second. His mother was at a loss of what to do. Suddenly it came to her. I could see it in her eyes: "A story. I'll tell him a story." I'm certain in that instant those must have been her thoughts. "Ben," she said, "How about if I tell you a story." Ben was intrigued. Ben sat on his chair--right side up too. Ben listened intently. Ben's mom told him all about none other than Batman! Batman fights the Joker and the Riddler and Catwoman even made a special appearance. This mom knew her stuff. And of course Ben was captivated. Who wouldn't be captivated by Batman?
No comments:
Post a Comment